Sunday 7 July 2013

Life drawing again

Again, it's been ages since I posted anything and ages since I did any drawing for that matter which is why I'm making an effort to get back into it again. Whenever I take a break from it all, I seem to miss it or think about all the things I'd like to be drawing so the only cure is to jump back on the horse and do some stuff, no matter how dodgy it is!

Over the last three weeks, I've been heading to life drawing sessions held at a pub in town. The atmosphere is very casual, there is no instructor or lesson format, it's just people turning up who like to draw the figure with beer, wine, snacks, great music and, in my case, a decent cuppa! I need to focus on getting proportion right but mostly just trying to get my style and technique more refined.

Last week, I also went along to Dr Sketchy's Freak Show at a local bar. The costumes were brilliant as were the models who were mostly Burlesque dancers. There were also some seriously delicious cupcakes on the night! The only downside was the nature of the venue. The bar is right in the middle which made it difficult for 50+ people with sketch pads to navigate around the room and watch the acts & draw poses. The longest poses went for only 10 minutes which isn't long enough if you want to do a completed, detailed drawing. Besides that, it was a fun night and I find people watching is a highlight - 'is that guy here to draw or just to have a perv?' I'm pretty sure I'll go along to the next one too but just be a little more strategic about it. Pick out a fave model, sketch some poses then just super refine my favourite sketch looking back to the model for detail and give myself more time.

Enjoy these sketches and comments are most welcome!

Dr Sketchy

Life drawing at the pub

Life drawing at the pub

Life drawing at the pub

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa, is this held at Civic pub?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these are the life drawing classes at Civic Pub.

      Delete